Tuesday, January 11, 2011

RIP Cookie Gilchrist

Former Buffalo Bills fullback, Cookie Gilchrist, passed away Monday due to a hard-fought bout with cancer. He was 75 years old at the time of his death. He's most remembered by Bills fans as being the best running back of the club's AFL years and the man in our backfield in our '64 and '65 championship seasons. I never had the good fortune to see the man play but I do know he was the first AFL player to eclipse 1,000 yards rushing in a season and set a (then) pro football record 243 yards rushing in a single game (including 5 TD's). To read a lot more about his career and his life I recommend checking out the links on the Buffalo Bills website. Here's another link to a video done in memoriam. Also, a great write up on the AFC East blog on ESPN.com.



Cookie Gilchrist, 1935-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment