Friday, October 22, 2010

Show of hands, who thinks we'll win this week? Mr Wilson put your hand down, I did not ask who crapped their pants.


Okay, for anyone who doesn't know this the Bills are the worst team in football. There's is room for debate but very little room. The only argument I'd give anyone is that we have yet to play a team that is not above .500 and the Panthers have (they played Cincinnati who is 2-3).

Against the Jags we started great. The Bills came out guns-a-blazin' and looked good, even forced a few turnovers but the early burst was nowhere near enough to make up for the defense's ineptitude. It seems like any team with a running back with at least one leg can put up 30 points on the Bills and this week I expect nothing less. With Baltimore in town you have one of the best running backs in the league, Rice, coupled with one of the top defenses in the league not to mention our old friend McGahee *cough*asshole*cough*. Essentially, the Bills will not be able to stop the Ravens' offense or put up many points vs. their defense. I predicted a 34-14 loss yesterday and given what I've seen of both teams this year, that might even be too optimistic. Of course, this team is still a team of question marks and you never know what they might be able to do if they actually start clicking.

At the very least, the offense has looked relatively competent since Fitz was named the starter. Still, one question we all have is that is given the talent in the backfield why (even if they are in a deficit) don't they opt to run more often? I believe Bills running backs are averaging less than 20 carries combined per game and this is supposed to be our offense's strength. It's up to Chan to figure out how to put us in positions where we can pick up some third downs and extend drives in order to switch up our play calling a little bit and not be so predictable. Third and long??? Statistically, you're going to throw it, if not the Ravens can still stuff your attempt to trick them with a draw/delayed handoff so we'll probably throw. Net result = lots of throws and fewer runs; not playing to our strength. Chan, get them running and running well! We'll see how we plan to trick them because we will most likely have to try something different to get the ball moving on the ground because what we're doing has yet to really work against much worse defenses. Could we finally see some unorthodox play calling designed to get Spiller the ball? When he's had it he's been good, I see no reason why he shouldn't be featured prominently in this week's gameplan.

Defensively, it's a bad week to be potentially without the services of our best run defender who is also ironically our best pass rusher, NT/DT Kyle Williams. Give this man a medal for the things he's capable of doing with a supporting cast of 2nd stringers and rookies. We're going to see more 4-man fronts, meaning Kelsay as a DE opposite Carrington or Johnson and most likely Troup and Stroud plugging the middle. It didn't work vs Jacksonville even with Williams in the fold, why would it work against a better line and a better backfield? If we can hold the Ravens to less than 200 yards rushing I'll call that a positive thing. Through the air, the Ravens are good, not great, but Flacco can do some damage especially if the Bills' secondary plays as it has to start the year, that is out of position and late to the ball. Hopefully something clicks for them so at the very least we can maybe force an INT and shake them a little.

Anyways, call this a game for the rookies and young players to get experience. I wouldn't even mind seeing Maybin in the game once it gets out of hand. If we want him to be able to stop the run, what better way is there than to let him try? I don't expect much from the Bills this week so I won't be so upset at the mistakes we'll be forced into making or will make due to our own weaknesses. I'd like to see the defense come up big a few times, at least make a statement that it's possible to stop the run occasionally but I don't want to get my hopes too high. If we lose by 10 or less I'd say that we played really well (We can't match the talent they have); if by some act of God we win I'll probably have a stroke.

Bottom line: Expect a blowout loss, hope for a close game, and wish for a win. Go Bills!

1 comment:

  1. A very well thought out statement concerning the present state of the team and the contest (massacre) that we will be treated to on Sunday. As you know Ralph recently took the blame for the sorry state of the franchise,and the fact we will be rebuilding again using a new 3 year plan. AS WE ALL KNOW THIS I ACTUALLY AN ADDENDUM TO OUR PREVIOUS 10 YEAR PLAN.(It took less time to rebuild Japan after WWII,and they were hit with 2 atomic bombs.) As you watch the game tommorrow remember that two of the Ravens starters could have been wearing Bills uniforms if Ralph had overruled Dick(and I do not mean Richard) Jauron in recent drafts. What is most disturbing is that these players are a defensive All PRO tackle,and a starting Left Tackle,who will probably be an All Pro. Instead we have Whitner and Maybin. So,who do you think had the better draft? Remember that the team has eleven more chances to get that all important one win and stay out of the NFL Record Book! The odds have to be in our favor!

    ReplyDelete