Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wrapping up the Preseason


So it's a little late to comment on last weeks game against the Bengals, and where I'm at it wasn't televised until after my cable was turned off as I'm in the midst of moving, but from what I saw/heard I can give my two cents.

1st cent: The offense did great, especially when compared to Bills offenses of the past several years.

2nd cent: The defense still needs some serious work, however still was able to come up with a few homerun plays here and there.

I probably won't be able to catch this last preseason game either but here are a few things to look for:

1) Brian Brohm: He didn't have much of a chance to see the field last week as Fitz was in for the majority of the game after Edwards was out. Maybe that means the coaches are leaning towards Fitz as our #2 back but in any case, this game will be the last for Brohm to audition for the number 2 QB spot. He'll see a lot of action and will need to really prove that he deserves to be on the team more than Fitz cause it's one or the other that'll be cut before the opener.

2) BEAST MODE: He's back, in pog form. Look for him to test that ankle which is apparently in good shape. We'll probably see the playbook changed a little bit with more 2-back looks this week and Lynch will probably have more carries than Spiller. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lynch in with the second unit only because he's missed the preseason up until this game.

3) Aaron Maybin: Had a great showing last week, hopefully he can keep it up this week and earn some more playing time. He has yet to start with the first unit.

4) Lankster and McKelvin: Both of these guys need to do some serious work to be starters on opening day, Lankster more to keep a roster spot as he is not going to start regardless. McKelvin could lose his starting position to the ironically named Corner if he has another lackluster showing this week.

5) Defensive secondary as a whole: The unit needs to come through big if they don't want all of their opponents thinking they can just whip the ball up and down the field and score point in bunches like that. So far they haven't proven anyone who might think that way wrong and they need to do something about it fast.

6) Special Teams: Not even sure if we have one of those. I want to see Detroit average less than 30 yards per kick return and have none that go further than 35 yards in order to feel better about where this unit is at.

I'm sure there will be more to look for, like the bubble players (Joique Bell/Chad Simpson/Any wide receiver lower on the depth chart than Chad Jackson), but I'm willing to just wait and see how everyone does this Thursday before prognosticating about any of that. 'Til then, Go Bills, I want to see Stafford eating turf alright Maybin? Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment